So winter has officially arrived in Sydney, today is a chilly max temperature of 14 degrees Celsius. I personally am the worst when it comes to the cold; for example last year whilst travelling through Europe – it was probably about 10 degrees in London and I was concerned I would get frost bite (yes … self confessed hypochondriac).Anyways, apart from the fear of frost bite; this cold weather kills so much of our motivation to still workout. We tend to use any excuse we can find to avoid a work out – “It’s too dark to even get up yet, it is surely not safe running in the dark”, “It’s so cold outside and my bed is so toasty”, “I can just cover up any extra winter weight with all those layers of clothes”, and the list goes on.
So I have come up with a few little tips to keep you motivated, and keep up your healthy lifestyle even when frost-bite is a major risk!
- Cock-a-doodle-do! Not so natural Alarm Clock: If you can only fit in exercise in the mornings – set your alarm on your phone and leave it on the floor away from your bed. So you actually have to get up out of bed to go turn the annoying thing off. Once you are up you will find it much easier to stay up!
- Strategic Gym Clothes: Prepare your work out clothes the night prior and leave them out so you can just jump out of bed and throw them on – leave them near the phone alarm – for extra motivation.
- Bikram or Power Yoga – this is an amazing winter workout because you are working out in temperatures of 30-40 degrees! Not to mention all the benefits of this form of yoga, allowing for a more intense flexibility workout & the flushing of toxins in your body.
- Get a Workout-Buddy: If you have a friend to workout with, you are more likely to commit to it. Instead of going and catching up for a vino, maybe suggest catching up over a 1 hour walk.
- Bikini Bod: Maybe keep your motivation by leaving out a pair of your favourite bikinis in sight… hang them next to your trench coat! Remind yourself you want to get back into them after the chill season.
- Lighter work-outs: Because your body is using up a lot of energy to keep itself warm in winter. You can cut back on the hardcore workouts, maybe try for light running, walking, yoga and pilates classes to stay fit and healthy.
- Productive Lunch break: Why not try fit in your workout on your lunch break? It is much warmer at the middle of the day. Also it is great if you are a runner, you won’t get nearly as sweaty as you would in summer; so can go back to work after a shower and not feel all red-faced and sticky.
Have Fun and Enjoy!